Saturday, February 4, 2012

Makeup Breakdown: Essential Tools

I was working with a friend today, and we got on the subject of makeup, and which tools are best. After sharing with her what tools do what, and what products I like, it occured to me that I should also share this information with my lovely readers. Not that you need makeup advice, but just in case you do, I thought i would write a little blurb on different tools, and products. Also, if you are like me, you can hardly afford to buy all your makeup products at Sephora & M.A.C, so most of the products and tools i use can be found at Target or Walgreens. There are a few products I will splurge on because I think certain things have to be good quality or they dont work at all. I will get into that later though



TOOLS


I always thought that when it came to flawless makeup, product was what was the most important. Even though it does matter, I have found that what i was missing all along was the right tools! Once I started buying and using the right tools, I was so shocked at how much of a difference it made. I even had people start commenting on how nice my skin looked (little did they know, it was still the same acne prone skin underneath). Here are some tools that I definitely recommend everyone have in their makeup collection.






1. Stippling Brush


A Stippling Brush is to be used for the application of foundation. It gives an airbrushed look, and spreads your foundation evenly to reduce the appearance of caked skin. I purchased my stippling brush at Sallys, and it was about $12.00. I live for this brush, and use it every single day. When choosing a stippling brush, make sure the bristles are stiff so it holds onto that foundation, and doesn't leave streaks.

Where to buy: Sallies, Sephora, M.A.C, Target or any other place that carries a good variety of makeup products. Unfortunately, I have not found any stippling brushes at Walgreens or CVS.









2. Horse Hair Foundation Brush


Yes, you read that right...Horse Hair...and its real :) Gross? yeah it sounds gross, but trust me, its not. The beauty of horse hair is that it is super easy to clean, and very firm which allows the product to be distributed and blended more accurately. I purchased mine at Sephora a while back, and I still have it. Its amazing how much better my concealer is blended when i use this brush. Some people use this brush to apply their foundation, but i find that the stippling brush does a better job of that since its larger. I use this foundation brush to blend my concealer, and blend out any foundation buildup that gets stuck under my eyes (I have super dry skin under my eyes for some reason, and it tends to catch foundation adn streak). Cleaning this brush is super easy, all you do is apply shampoo to it (since it is hair), and rinse...voila!

Where to buy?

 I purchased mine at Sephora (Sephora Brand, Pro Foundation Brush #47..$27.00) Or you can purchase at Target, Sonia Kashuk has a good one called "Sonia Kashuk Foundation Brush" $14.99.






3. Angled Blush Brush


This brush is essential for accurate blush application (wow that sounded really professional of me ) Its angle allows for a nice sweeping motion, and will apply your blush nicely against your jawbone. I also use my angle brush for contouring and highlighting as the angle will do wonders for that technique as well. 


Where to buy

I bought my angle brush at Target, and it was E.L.F brand (Super cheap, amazing brush). E.L.F Blushing, Bronzing & Blending Brush :  $1.00














       3. Kabuki Brush

I was given this brush as a birthday present a few years back, and I fell in love instantly. The blending powers of this tiny tool is incredible. It also is great for applying powder to your face without wiping off any concealer you have placed over blemishes and imperfections. I use this brush for powder, and for blending in blush and highlighter when trying to achieve a dewy, makeup look. Another plus? This brush is insanely soft, and feels so amazing against your skin :)



This particular brush is the one I own, and it is from Sephora. It is Makeup Forever's HD Kabuki Brush $39
  If you cant afford to splurge that much on a makeup brush,  E.L.F also has a Kabuki Brush that is more budget-friendly. it is the E.L.F Mineral Kabuki Brushes $5-$8. 








4. Eye Shadow Brush


This brush is smaller, thicker, and great for your initial eyeshadow application. What I do is pat the eyeshadow onto my eye using this brush to create a nice foundation. Then using some of my other eyeshadow brushes I finish the look. I feel like when I use this brush to place the first layer of shadow on, I get less fall off (crums of eyeshadow that falls all over your face...not cute). 



Where to buy? 

Once again, this is an E.L.F brush, and it works great for me. Of course, a M.A.C brush would be better (because M.A.C brushes are the BEST  in my oppinion, but Id be broke if i bought all my stuff there). This particular brush is the one I own, and it is E.L.F Essentials Eye Shadow Brush $1.00












5. Defining Eye Brush

This brush is great for adding color to contour the crease of your eyelid. Also, if you are a big fan of the dark crease eye-shadow trend, then this is the brush for you. I could never quite pull off that look, so i use this to apply a slightly darker shade on my crease to add some definition. This brush is great because the angle really glides nicely over your crease. 


Where to buy? 

Okay, so honestly, the rest of these brushes were purchased at Target, and are the E.L.F brand. They work amazing, and you cannot beat $1.00 price tag! E.L.F Essential Defining Eye Brush $1.00












6. Blending Eye Brush

This rounded brush does just what its description says, blends in your eyeshadow, and it does it well. I love this brush because I don't have the steadiest of hands, so whenever i need some blending magic, I just use this little guy and problem fixed! It is also a great tool for softening harsh lines, and blending eyeliner underneath your lash lines. 

Where To Buy?













7. Smudge Eye Sponge 
Right now the easy version of the smokey eye is super hot. And when I say easy, I literally mean 3 steps: apply liner, smudge liner, apply mascara. Done. This brush will be your new BFF when it comes to this look, because it blends accurately, and gives a nice soft smudge that is oh so sultry and perfect for date night. 


Where To Buy? 














Hope this post was helpful! Tools are definitely a necessity for every girls makeup collection whether you wear a lot of makeup, or barely any. It is the key element in a flawless makeup application, and the good thing is that there are a lot of affordable brushes out there for you to try out. My next post will be about Makeup Products and what little tricks they can do that a lot of people don't really know about!

xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...