Thursday, February 16, 2012

Day One: Gratitude Journal

Lets be honest, life is anything but smooth sailing, and when times are tough, its easy to constantly dwell on the things going wrong instead of remembering the things that go right. Our brain just automatically tends to focus on negative when we are stressed, and doing so causes even more stress. How can we avoid this? Gratitude Journal!
No its not your high school diary, this journal is meant to train your brain to focus on the positive aspects of your life instead of the negative, in return making us happier and less stressful. When you are constantly reflecting on the things in your life you are grateful for,  you will begin to focus more on the things you like about your life instead of the things you don't.
The beauty of a gratitude journal, is that it takes minimal time and can have great lasting effects. Try this, every night before bed, jot down just 5 things in your life you are grateful for. This will take merely minutes to do, you don't have to write a story, just a simple list of 5 things you are grateful for, and do this consistently for two weeks. You will start to really notice a change in your thought patterns. 
If you are having a day where you are really down in the dumps, and nothing in your life seems to be going right, twist those negatives into positives. This is a great exercise because you are really working hard at changing your thought pattern. 
For example:
Negative Thought: Today I got yelled at by my boss for something ridiculous
Positive Thought: Today my boss yelled at me, but I held my composure like a professional, and this made me realize that maybe its time for a new career path that will make me happier.
Negative Thought: I am single and lonely
Positive Thought: I am really focusing on myself right now, and even though I am single, I am still an amazing person and have the freedom to live my life. 
See how twisting those negative feelings into positive ones instantly make you feel better? Its amazing what the power of positive thinking can do. 
Now, I am not suggesting you become one of those kooks who thinks life is so amazing and wonderful even when someone steals their purse they smile and say “No Problem, Ill get a new purse!” Thats just crazy talk. I am just suggesting to try and find positives in life's negatives, because in return, you will feel stress free and a lot happier!
So give it a shot, hopefully it works for you and you can start to incorporate it into your daily routine and be a happier you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...